Protect Your Minor Children

Serving Families and Individuals in Thousand Oaks and Conejo Valley, CA

PROBLEM: What will happen to your minor children if you die and do not legally name a guardian?

CONSEQUENCES: Bad things can and will happen.

  1. You would leave your children with heightened uncertainty, adding to the trauma they are already experiencing from losing a parent;
    • where would they go to live?
    • who would raise them?
    • what money would be available for their care?
  2. Your children could be taken from their familiar surroundings and temporarily placed into the care of Child Protective Services;
  3. judge who doesn’t know you, or your family, will decide who will raise your children;
  4. Your kids could be placed with a relative who may mean well, but who you would never want raising your kids;
  5. A long and nasty custody battle between family members could materialize;
  6. A substantial portion of your assets could be lost to court costs and other unnecessary fees due to probate; thereby, depriving your kids of the resources they need to live;
  7. When your kids turn 18, whether they are financially mature or not, they get a check for whatever assets are left. Because this is a public process, predators are often waiting in the wings and monitor public records to prey on young people who are inheriting assets. Learn about 3 basic  techniques to leave assets to minor children.

SOLUTION: Name guardians in a will and durable power of attorney.

At Family Security Law Group, APC, our attorneys offer years of experience in planning for the well-being and care of your most valuable asset–your children.

We can help you select the ideal guardian for your kids and also design a plan that will ensure they are cared for according to your wishes.

Contact us today to discuss your particular situation.